Monday, October 31, 2011

Dreams After Breakfast
















It's in those moments when, tossing in bed at 5am because of a fever or menstrual cramps or nightmares or headaches or any other self-pity inducing symptoms, and your significant other, even though they too are trying to sleep and probably bothered by your restlessness, rolls over and pulls you close to their body, coos sympathetically and kisses your nose, that any doubt melts like the memory of your dreams after breakfast.

Is it normal to doubt when the words "I love you" are flying out of your mouth 100 times a day? I seem to be irreversibly prone to wonder if really I'm not being deluded by insecurity, good looks, soft skin, etc, and I worry that I shouldn't dare make any sacrifices for what my young brain thinks is love.

And yet, last night, feeling totally sorry for myself since I'm on some pretty heavy antibiotics to fight my endless onslaught of urinary tract infections (awesome!) which make my skin rosy red as I roll around with fever all night; plus my boobs are hurting like crazy because of my contraceptives, while expecting TMI to be totally pissed off with my tossing and turning, he comforted me so effectively that I experienced a moment of complete doubtless bliss. And I'll be honest, its been happening a lot.

So what's with the second guessing?

I'm considering staying here with TMI's family for Christmas this year to put off our dreaded separation and give me more time to move out of my little apartment. But, it would be my first Christmas away from my family in the Hawaiian islands, and let me tell you, I am a serious family girl. And while all young adults face that first Christmas without their immediate family, my parents are older than most, and, my Robert-Redford-sailing-legend of a father had a difficult year with skin cancer. My family Christmases no longer seem like a forever given.

I said it in the post before last and I'll say it again: how much is love really worth these days? There are sacrifices on both ends of my plane ride and at present I don't know which is worth being more panicked about.

After some restless hours of light sleep in the morning, I awoke in a sweat, totally terrified. Nightmares. ..But by the time I sat up I'd forgotten them.

2 comments:

  1. do not ever end this blog. i love it! i hope you end up living in france and i can forever read these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're understandably stuck between two impossible decisions. It might be really helpful to talk to your dad about this, or perhaps you already have. The thing is, this is the beginning of you making your own family, and I think your dad probably wants that more than anything, even if you're halfway around the world. Take away all of the guilt from your decision to find what you really want. Guilt will oftentimes cloud your mind so fully you can't see straight. Or shame. Or anger. Or whatever. Maybe you could take a retreat day away from TMI to quiet your insides and figure out what you yourself really want.

    Blessings to you-I'm rooting for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...